Putting the Safety of Our Customers First
It is of paramount importance to VDL Car Hire to not only ensure the cars we provide are safe but also to ensure our customers are well informed with respect to local traffic Laws and good practice when driving in the Algarve.
To assist all our customers and to make sure they are well informed for driving safely in the Algarve we recommend reading the headline information which will ensure you are well equipped for driving in Portugal. (Please be aware Laws are subject to change and this information is displayed on the site for the purpose of guidance only).
Key Portuguese Driving Laws
- In Portugal, please drive on the Right side of the road.
- The use of mobile phones, including the use of hands-free kits whilst driving, is prohibited.
- Do not use the horn in a built up area unless in danger.
- It is illegal to carry bicycles on the back of a passenger car.
- Urban areas: 31 mph (50 km/h)
- Rural areas: 55mph (90 km/h)
- Motorways: 74 mph (120 km/h).
Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
It is compulsory for everyone inside the vehicle to wear a seatbelt – Children under 12 and less than 150cm tall must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
Compulsory Equipment required
- Photographic proof of identity – In Portugal, you must always carry photographic proof of identity.
- Reflective jacket (Provided in your car hire package)